Gideon Pond House
Gideon Pond House
Gideon Pond, along with his brother Samuel and his wife Agnes, was a missionary to the Dakota Indiansbefore John H. Stevens and his family arrived on the West Bank. Their original mission was located at Cloudman's Village near Lake Calhoun. In 1866, they built a Federal style house near the Minnesota River, where it still stands today.
To learn about Gideon Pond, the house, and their year-round programs, visit their website. Click here to visit their website: Gideon Pond House
Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board
The John H. Stevens House is owned and maintained by the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board. Programs are scheduled and sponsored by the volunteer community board.
Ard Godfrey House
The historic Ard Godfrey house is located in Chute Square. Built in 1849, the Greek Revival house was the residence for the Ard Godfrey family. A Maine millwright, Godfrey helped build the first dam and sawmills to take advantage of the waterpower of St. Anthony Falls. He was also the first postmaster of the Village of St. Anthony. Originally built at Main St. and 2nd Ave. SE, the house was moved several times before arriving in Chute Square Park in 1907.
Located in the St. Anthony Falls historic Milling District, the house has been restored and is filled with furnishings and household items authentic to the period 1849-1853.
While the Park Board owns the house, the renovation and operation of the house has been a volunteer project of The Woman's Club of Minneapolis since 1976. Volunteers in 1850s period costume provide tours for visitors to see the Godfrey children's walnut cradle, and the Chickering rosewood piano.
The house is typically open to the public for tours on weekends during June, July, and August; reservations are not required. The public is also invited to the annual 1850s Holiday Party in December and Dandelion Day in May.
The Princess Depot
Originaly built in 1875, the Depot is owned by the Minnesota Historical Society. Located in Minnehaha Park, the Princess Depot was restored with assistance from the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board and the Minnesota Transportation Museum which currently operates the Depot as a museum. The Depot is open Sunday afternoons, Memorial Day through Labor Day, for additional information call 651-228-0263 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Special tours can be scheduled with advanced notice, please call 1 - 2 weeks ahead and coordinated with the John H. Stevens House.
John H. Stevens House receives no outside monetary support from the County or the Historical Society, so all donations are crucial to the maintaining of our programming and updated exhibits. We need your support. Thank you!